The renovation and alteration of a Category B listed derelict medieval tower house to form a new dwelling house for a private client. The project was completed in 1999.
Kinlochaline Castle is a former 15th Century seat of the Clan MacInnes and is situated at the head of Loch Aline. The castle had been uninhabited since 1690 until the present owners decided to renovate the building into a family home. The original part of the castle was a large, rectangular, 3 story space with a garret rising to a corbelled parapet, however it was agreed that the best way to give the family more space, and at the same time deal with the problems surrounding reroofing the building, was in fact to construct a one and a half story dwelling on top of the existing tower.
Traditional building materials and methods were used wherever possible, helping to preserve the integrity of the building
Contractor: Norman MacDonald Builders