Reudle School on the Isle of Mull was in use in the 1850’s to 1870’s but from then onwards the building lay empty, gradually being eroded by the severe winds which batter the area. In 1997, local potter Charlotte Mellis and her husband bought the property with a view to renovating it into their home and studio.
Although neglected, the old school still had its exterior shell, and many interesting features, the most quirky of which was that over the years many locals and tourists had engraved their signatures on the lime plaster of the original walls, some dating back to 1894. Charlotte was very keen to maintain this feature, and incorporated this into her pottery studio.
Whilst maintaining a very traditional façade, the interior of the building is very modern, incorporating wooden floors throughout, and has utilised alcoving in which Charlotte displays pottery from around the world, and a hammock to look out over the Treshnish Headland.
Contractor: Norman MacDonald Builders